Saturday, July 5, 2014

Food for your Itty Bitty: Mahi Mahi & Roasted Asparagus

Delilah's first taste of fish…. a hit, I think! She ate it and seemed to like it, although, next time I will season it a little less. Adventures of eating….

Mahi Mahi was on sale at our local HEB, so that was the fish I decided to use, it does help that Mahi Mahi is one of my favorites. It reminds me of chicken, you can literally prepare it any way you want. I decided to go with my tried and true method of cooking fish.

Before we start with the fish, preheat the oven to 350. Wash and trim your asparagus. I always break the bottom of one and then cut the rest to match.


Place on a cookie sheet, lined with foil (less mess!) and drizzle a little oil, salt and pepper.


I used ghee for the oil. And lemon pepper ;)
Place in oven.

Now the fish...



I bought a pound and cut it up into individual servings. 


Use this time to season your fish however you like. I am a sucker for Old Bay.


This is going to sear and then go into the oven, so I heard somewhere if you cover your handle with foil, any pan can be oven safe. It has always worked for me! Get the pan very hot and sear the fish, flesh side down.


 Once it's brown, flip it on the skin side and send the pan into the oven.


Cook fish for about 10 minutes, it should be cooked all the way through. The asparagus should be fork tender. Serve it up with your favorite macaroni and cheese and you've got yourself a meal!

Ours:


Hers:




** I will say that roasted asparagus was not her favorite. I will try it steamed next time to see if that helps.


Mahi Mahi

1 pound fish
1 tablespoon seasoning of choice (Old Bay)
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350. 
Place oil into an oven safe pan, heat until very hot. Sear fish, flesh side down, for about 5 minutes until brown. Flip over, turn off heat, and place in oven to finish cooking. About 10 minutes.

*This method has worked for any fish I have made: salmon, white bass, cod. It comes out perfect every time.


Roasted Asparagus

1 bunch asparagus
oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350.
Snap one asparagus and trim the rest of the bunch to follow. Place on cookie sheet lines with foil. Cover with oil and season to taste.

You can also add garlic slices.

Cook in oven for 10-20 minutes. Depends how crunchy or soft you like it!






No comments:

Post a Comment