Friday, July 11, 2014

Food for your Itty Bitty: Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

I have probably eaten this dish 4,765 times. It never gets old. Of course it always tastes better when my mom makes it, but she is not always here and I know I can count on it being on the dinner table for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 



Delilah loves broccoli and she also loves rice. This dish is perfect because it is easier for her to pick up. It does take a few steps, so I usually start cooking everything during her morning nap. 

Make one cup of rice, boil 2 small heads of broccoli, and cook 1/2 onion and 1 stalk of celery in 2 tablespoons of butter. Do these in separate pots ;)




Mix together a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and 2 cups of cheese. I always use cheddar, but since I am out, sprinkle cheese will do just fine!

Make sure to break up the broccoli, since your Itty Bitty is eating this you don't want pieces that are too big.


Ok, so I may have gone a little overboard with the mixing. Apparently I got caught up in recapping True Blood, I cannot even believe Alcide died! RIP you good looking werewolf, you.


Once everything is cooked and cooled mix it together in a bowl and but it into a well buttered, and I am talking about 2 tablespoons of butter, pyrex pan. Bake on 350 until the cheese is melted and the top is a little golden.


Cheese me!



A lot of preparation but so worth it!


We've got an applause everybody!

Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

2 Heads of broccoli - cooked until tender
1 cup cooked rice
1 Stalk of Celery
1/2 Small Onion
4 Tablespoons butter
1 Can Cream of Mushroom soup
2 cups of cheese - you can use sprinkle cheese or block cheese cut into little cubes

Cook diced celery and onion in 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat until very tender, about 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350

Mix rice, celery and onion, broccoli, cheese, and soup in bowl. Place mixture in a buttered pan, use the other 2 tablespoons. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.


I served this with my Seasoned Salt Chicken. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan, season chicken, either thighs or breasts, and season with salt and pepper and seasoned salt. Brown chicken on both sides and put a cup or so of chicken broth in the pan. Do not cover the chicken completely. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, put a lid on it and simmer for 30 minutes. Take the lid off and turn up the heat and reduce the liquid to make a simple sauce. That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment