Thursday, June 26, 2014

Food for your Itty Bitty: Toaster Strudel

I have been running into road blocks when it comes to Delilah's breakfast. She is waffled out, tired of bananas, and not interested in me feeding her yogurt or oatmeal. She also is not a fan of eggs and I am terrible at making pancakes. They never turn out like pancakes, more like thick underdone bread circles. Mashed potatoes and pancakes, my kryptonite. 

I had bought some of those toaster strudels, remember those? With the ridiculously good frosting packets, that never had enough frosting in them. Well she really liked those! I have been reading ingredient labels lately, I am not too crazy about it, but it concerns me anytime it says "Less than 1% of...". I mean, that can't be good. So I decided I would try to make my own! I contemplated whether or not I would use pie crust or frozen puff pastry, I decided to go with the puff pastry since it would resemble the original. I also decided to use cream cheese and jam as the filling, you could make your own, but ain't nobody got time for that ;) But seriously, my favorite flavor is the apple one, so I will be trying out my own apple filling. And Delilah loves anything dairy, which is funny because when I was pregnant I went through a gallon of milk a week for months, it was gross how much milk I consumed, but it tasted so good! Anyways, she loves all things dairy, so I also want to try a cream cheese filling too. I will update as I try the other fillings, but for now, it is strawberry jam, cream cheese, and a vanilla frosting!

These turned out really good, I had to try one three ;)

The few that I used strawberry jam with ran a little bit. I am still going to try a different fruit filling, but until then I am going to only put the recipe for the cream cheese strudels.


Thaw your puff pastry overnight and lay it on a floured surface so it doesn't stick. Then dance.


Mix your cream cheese and sugar, yum yum yum.


I used a pizza cutter to slice up the pastry, made it super easy. Decide how big or small you want your strudel and slice it up. Make sure they are the same sizes and you have an even number.


Put some cream cheese mixture on one side and then slap the other side on top.


Use a fork and seal the pastry together.


Ca-ute!


Once you finish and all of your pastry is on the baking sheet, put in an oven until they are golden brown.


While they cook, whip up your frosting and wait...



...
...
...
...
Done!


Put on a cooling rack and wait again.

...
...
...
...
They're cool, time to drizzle some icing!


This was after I ate a few.



Toaster Strudel

1 Package of Puff Pastry, thawed
1/2 cup Cream Cheese, softened
1 T powder sugar

Preheat oven to 400.

Lay out puff pastry and roll just a bit to get the creases out. It is ok if they are still visible, that is what I used to measure mine out. Cut along the long lines of the puff pastry with a pizza cutter. Then cut horizontal lines to whichever size you would like. I was able to cut out 4 pieces. 

Mix together your cream cheese and sugar. Once again, if you like yours sweeter add more sugar.

Put a tablespoon or so of the cream cheese mixture on one side of the puff pastry. Lay another piece on top, like a ravioli :) Use a fork to smoosh the sides together, lay on a greased baking sheet. You want to work fast because the puff pastry gets more difficult to work with as it warms.

Continue until all of your pieces are used up! Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden. 

Take the strudels and put on a cooling rack until cool. Drizzle on your icing and then eat it up!

Frosting/Icing

3 T powder sugar
1 t Milk
1/8 t Vanilla

Mix together. You may need to add more sugar/milk depending on what consistency you would like.








No comments:

Post a Comment