Friday, June 27, 2014

Food for your Itty Bitty: Balsamic Chicken with Butter Pasta and Asparagus

I was talking with a friend about making dinners that are geared towards babies. I want Delilah to be exposed to flavors, textures, and all foods, not just "baby" foods. Now that she is only eating "real" food, I have modified my cooking. I make things a little softer, cook it longer, stay away from spicy (which is a tough one for me), and I always try to include a carb, a veggie, and a protein. I still season everything quite a bit, she loves Herbs de Provence and garlic. :) She always gets some sort of dessert too, whether is is fruit or her favorite ice cream sandwich. 

Anyways, my friend asked me if I look online for recipes and that she never knows what to make. I definitely have my inspiration sources, but for the most part, I use what my momma gave me (recipes of course) and come up with meals based on what I have in my pantry. I have also found it useful to plan out the week and shop for what I need, but if I haven't found the time to do that, we eat what we have! 

I will be happy to help with dinner ideas, just comment on what you have and I will help come up with a dinner!

Tonights menu: Balsamic Chicken with Pasta and Asparagus



I have wanted to start liking dark meat, but I am a white meat girl. I asked my husband to pick up thighs and I am glad I did. It was really good! I have to admit they look a little intimidating, but being the world's pickiest chicken eater, there wasn't a weird piece on the thigh! 

Start with boneless, skinless chicken thighs and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of Herbs de Provence. 

Melt a couple tablespoons of butter, everything's better with butta, and start to brown your chicken. 

Flip the chicken to brown the other side and then pour in 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar. I never, ever measure, so this is more of an estimate.

I also sprinkled a little sugar once I flipped the chicken. I would have originally used honey, but not with the baby :)


Lower the temp to med heat and put a lid on it, let it cook for 15 minutes or so. 

I wanted a thick sauce, so after 15 minutes I opened the lid, turned up the heat to med high and let the sauce thicken for another 10 minutes, or until the desired consistency.

Get some pasta water boiling... cut up your asparagus...


... and add the pasta and asparagus into the water. Cook until everything is soft enough for baby. I squeezed in a lemon while the pasta and asparagus were cooking, I didn't want it to be too overpowering for the bebe, and it was perfect.


Put them back in the pot, throw in some salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder and a few tablespoons of butter, and you've got yourself a party!

I have stopped using vegetable oil, so butter is the new black in this house!

Hers:


Ours:



Balsamic Chicken

Chicken Thighs/Breasts
Salt & Pepper
1/4 t Garlic & Onion Powder
1/4 t Herbs de Provence
1 t Sugar
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
2 T Butter

Season the chicken and melt the butter in a med high pan.
Brown both sides, on second side sprinkle the sugar. Add the vinegar and lower heat to med, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Take off the lid and let sauce reduce, over med high heat, until desired consistency. Done!

Pasta

Spiral Pasta (Any kind will do)
Asparagus
Lemon
Salt 
1 T Lemon Pepper
1/4 t Garlic Powder
3-4 T Butter

Boil water and squeeze lemon in the water. Cut up asparagus into 1 inch pieces. 
Throw, ok not really throw, gently place everything into pot. Cook until tender.
Return everything back into pot, put butter and seasonings in and stir it up. You can sing "Stir it up" by Bob Marley if you would like. Done!

This was a hit with everyone! Enjoy!

Oh hey Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment