Monday, August 4, 2014

Food for your Itty Bitty: Horchata

Ok, so this isn't necessarily for the bebe's and I am pretty sure this might be a fall drink, but it sounded good and it is delicious. I don't like my drinks too sweet, so you can always add more sugar, but this drink seriously hit the spot today. I am trying to watch my caffeine intake and only have one cup of coffee (bleh) a day and this totally made me feel like I was drinking another cup. I drink iced coffee, always have and always will. Here's to you Grandpa ;)

I don't have pictures of the process, but it is super easy. I recommend making either early in the morning or the day before you want to drink it.


Enjoy!

Blend one cup of rice and 5 cups of water, for about a minute or until the rice is broken up a bit. You will discard the rice.

Let that sit in a bowl for 7 hours or so, at room temperature. The longer it sits, the ricer (totally just made that word up) it will become.



Strain the rice and put the liquid into a pitcher. Add 1/2 cup of milk, you can make it really good by adding half&half. Stir in 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and one tablespoon of cinnamon. Refrigerate until it's chilled, or if you are impatient like me, go ahead and pour over ice in a glass. Pick out a straw, I say pick because I have a debate with myself every morning on which color straw I am feeling like, "Is it a purple day, nah green, no yellow, yellow for sure.", and drink up. I sometimes add a little more milk, or half&half depending on how you are feeling, just to dilute it a bit. And that is all! So good!




Apparently, it's a pink day ;)

Happy Monday, I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Oh, and Happy Anniversary to my parents! They have been married for 30 years as of yesterday, amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment