Sunday, April 27, 2014

Food for your Itty Bitty: Chicken Fried Steak

I wanted to try out the ghee recipe that turned out so well, on some chicken fried steak. I will not be frying chicken, due to the fact that it would cost about a million dollars. Im kidding, but it would cost a lot! I used about a quarter cup or so, until the bottom of the pan had a layer of liquid. It turned out really good, especially paired with some skillet potatoes and gravy!


There she is! It required a little elbow grease (pun intended) to get out of the jar once it's been refrigerated. I was going to work out my arms anyways today.


I mentioned before that my life usually runs in 15 minute increments, if it can't be done in 15 minutes, it's not happening. So, I was able to cut up the round steak into pieces and put them in an egg wash. They then went into the fridge to hang out while I chased Delilah out of the pantry and take the unknown object out of her mouth.

 I usually season my flour with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Today's batch was special because my husband brought home some of this crazy stuff, so I decided to give it a whirl.


The things my husband brings home.



Dredge your steak into the flour while your oil is heating over med high heat. To test if it's ready, pinch some of the flour in the grease, if it bubbles, it's ready!


Let the steak fry up for about 5 minutes or so, when it looks golden, flip it! If your wondering why my round steak looks funny, it is because we are lucky enough to get out beef from my husband's mom's farm. Not sure why I didn't say mother-in-law, moving along. We cut it up ourselves, so I am able to choose how big or small the pieces are. 


Once the steaks are browned on both sides, takes about 10 minutes, take them out and salt those puppies up. I have mine on a cooling rack today because I made this while Delilah was napping and these will find themselves in the oven to be reheated.

Now, for the gravy!


Use the flour from earlier and some milk. You will also need a little water too. 


I had to empty out some oil, you want about 2 tablespoons in the pan. Put burner to low and sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir around and cook for about 3 minutes.


 Slowly add the milk and stir really well. You, at this point could use a whisk, I prefer a wooden spatula, the way my momma does it. Don't worry if it is a little lumpy, do the best you can and remember there are delicious crispy bits from the steak!



Add all of your milk and start adding water until you reach your desired consistency. I have found out people get very serious about their gravy, I like mine a little runny and my husband likes his super thick. A family divided!

Ours:


I made a quick pea salad and skillet potatoes, yum!
(For the salad you literally throw peas, sweet pickle relish, cheese, purple onion, and mayo together.)

I know what you are thinking, chicken fried steak for the itty bitty? Nope! Not yet! But I couldn't let her sit and watch us eat, so we improvised ;)

Hers:


Cannelloni Beans with Gravy! 
She got some peas and potatoes as well.

Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy

Round Steak
1 egg
1/2 cup Milk
1 cup Flour
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Onion powder
Any crazy seasoning your special person decided to bring home
salt and pepper
Oil for frying

Coat the round steak in egg and milk mixture. 
Place in flour and coat the steak, shake of extra flour.
Heat oil in frying pan on med high heat, there should be enough to coat the bottom. Place the steaks in the oil and fry for about 5 minutes per side. Until they are golden and cooked through.

2 tablespoons Oil
2 tablespoons reserved flour
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 cup water

Heat oil on low heat and stir in flour. Cook for about 5 minutes, until flour starts bubbling. Slowly add in milk and stir. Start adding water until desired consistency is met. Add a little at a time to avoid super runny gravy. Taste for seasoning.



No comments:

Post a Comment