Friday, May 2, 2014

Whipped Coconut Oil with Lemon and Lavender

I decided when I found out how much I loved coconut oil, I would make it into a easier consistency to handle. I also knew I was going to add some essential oils to the party. I decided on two: lemon and lavender. (The alliteration is a complete coincidence but I think it adds a nice ring.) I wanted to add to the anti-fungal properties of the coconut oil, and after doing my research on cradle cap and yeast, I thought this would be a great combination. And, it was!

Lavender oil is amazing. It's properties are anti fungal, anti inflammatory, and antiseptic. Not to mention, it smells great and it used for relaxation. Win. Win. Win.

Lemon is also anti fungal, as well as an antioxidant. For these purposes, we will not be ingesting the coconut oil. But the smell, is also, amazing.

** Side note: A tablespoon of coconut oil a day is great for the body ;)

This recipe makes a pretty small batch. I haven't found a good vessel to keep a larger batch in, but you can honestly make as much or little as you need. It may seem like a super small amount, but a little goes a long way. Especially when you are working with itty bitty babies!

Just be careful with certain essential oils, they may need to be diluted for sensitive skin. Since coconut oil makes for a great carrier oil, add what you like. Vitamin E would be great, tea tree would also be good for a healing oil. Use your imagination and think about what you are needing the oil to accomplish.



Do a little research and decided what essential oils you want to use. 
Today: lemon + lavender


Start with 1/2 cup of coconut oil. You want it to be solid, so don't melt it! I used 5 drops of Lavender Oil and 3 drops of Lemon Oil.

Put everything in the Kitchen Aid and start whisking away. I gradually increased the speed and put it on high for about 10 minutes.


 I was going for a lotion like consistency. If you want it to be firmer, whip it a little longer.


There you have it. It is still an oil so take caution with clothing, but it should be a little more pleasant for you to handle now. I love this stuff, it smells amazing, and helped my daughter with cradle cap and the yeast growth. You can read about that here.


What else have you used coconut oil for? Or do you have another go to, cure all? 
Do tell!


No comments:

Post a Comment