Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Well my intentions were good!



So here I am, laughing to myself because my little baby just celebrated her 2 month birthday! I had every intention to document the last bit of my pregnancy, but that did not seem to happen :) I do strangely miss being pregnant, but that is for another time.

Now where to begin...

Our little bundle of joy, Delilah Rose, was born on July 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM, an entire week after her due date! She weighed 8 lbs 3 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long.


I had a scheduled induction, and I am convinced she would have stayed in there for much longer had we not given her the boot. My labor lasted 19 hours and after about an hour and half of pushing I finally met the most wonderfully perfect creature that had been kicking me for months. As everyone always tells you, no words can describe what you feel once you hold you baby for the first time, I mean I am getting chills just thinking about it, it really is amazing. 

The induction went very well for the most part, it was quick, relatively speaking, and took the guesswork out of what was happening. Next time around I would really like to go into labor naturally and spend the majority of time at home. I received an epidural about half way through, at 5 cm, and I am glad I decided to do that at the moment I did! I can not describe the pain that comes from contractions, it is deep and completely engrosses your entire body. Intense. The problem with inducing is they do not let you walk around or even get up for that matter, and that makes it very difficult when a contraction comes. Laying down was extremely uncomfortable for me. Not getting an epidural with an induction was out of the questions due to that circumstance. All in all, the end result is me holding her in my arms and at the end of the day, that is all that matters.


Bliss.

Now this bliss lasts for quite a while, however, after you realize that you have not eaten for 20+ hours, and your body just endured marathon labor, you realize you are hungry. I mean hungry. I did not want to let my girl go, but as soon as they brought in my ham and cheese sandwich, you could not get that sandwich in my mouth fast enough. I am laughing typing this, but seriously that was the best damn sandwich I have ever had. Ever. 

The hospital I delivered Delilah in was fantastic, I could not say anything bad about it, the Labor and Delivery room was amazing, it was big, roomy, wood floors, ipod dock, it was all around fancy. However, as soon as you push that sucker out, eat, and start getting comfortable, they tell you they are going to move you into Postpartum, how bad could that be right. Ha! As soon as we were relocated, I literally asked my husband, "what did we do wrong?" It was small and dark. The adrenaline starts wearing off and you start feeling the pain and exhaustion from 19 hours of labor.  Moving along... the nurses were amazing! They helped me establish the breastfeeding relationship that I can proudly say we still have, explained the recovery process that laid ahead of me (we are talking about the stuff people had 'forgotten' to mention to you when telling you about having a baby), and cared for my daughter when they could tell I was exhausted, had not gotten any sleep, and about to unravel. I remember one of the nurses saying our sweet little baby was "irritable". She was right, but we were completely taken and in love with our little irritable baby. We were the only patients for the two days we were in recovery, weird right? So to say we were taken care of is an understatement, we received the best support! So thank you nurses at Cedar Park Medical Center :)


Sorry for the blurry picture, but this is my little family.


"On the night you were born the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered 'life will never be the same'." -Nancy Tillman




No comments:

Post a Comment